Introducing the Kia Optima Plug-In Hybrid
Efficiency on command -
It’s performance tailored to you. HEV mode delivers the efficiency and refinement of the Optima Hybrid, while EV mode lets you go fully electric—with up to 29 miles of electric range to tackle your daily commute. And named a Transitional Zero Emission Vehicle (TZEV) by the California Air Resource Board, the Optima Plug-In Hybrid is eligible for a High-Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) decal in CA and other select states. So, you can use HOV lanes even when you’re driving solo. CA residents can learn more here . For other states, please consult your local government agency.
Shockingly advanced -
We took the intelligent combination of an electric motor and a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine—and added the power to go all-electric. With an EPA-est. 103 MPGe, the 2017 Optima Plug-In Hybrid (PHEV) proves that fuel efficiency and convenience can go hand in hand.
Two ways to charge -
Power up from virtually anywhere. The Level 1 (120v) charger uses the same wall outlet as your home appliances and is ideal for overnight charging. The Level 2 (240v) charger, available at public stations and for home installation, offers a full charge in less than three hours. And with Kia’s UVO eco App, you can use your compatible smartphone to control charge settings remotely.
Power to go places -
With more drivers turning to PHEVs and EVs, public charging is more accessible than ever. From the UVO eco feature that shows you nearby charging stations to the ever-growing infrastructure with more than 29,000 Level 2 (240v) public outlets nationwide, you can always find a charge.
More energy. More road -
The Optima Plug-In Hybrid features systems made to save energy and stretch your fuel even farther. The engine and battery are re-engineered to help enhance fuel economy, and the active air flap provides clean airflow that cuts down on drag. From design to drivetrain, the Optima Plug-In Hybrid is confidence on all roads.
- Engine - The 2.0-liter Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine comes in a more compact package, helping boost fuel economy.
- Battery - The Optima Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid were re-engineered together to deliver a high-density lithium polymer battery with more energy and power. Plus, the PHEV battery is cleverly packaged in the trunk floor to make optimal use of cargo space.
- Recharging - Charge up every time you slow down: during deceleration, regenerative braking uses that kinetic energy to recharge the electric motor’s battery.
- Active Air - The active air flap system helps improve aerodynamics by redirecting airflow when necessary.
Control at your fingertips -
Intuitive technologies make it easy to stay connected. Kia’s free UVO eco App lets you check charging status, schedule charge times, and even lock or unlock your doors—all from the comfort of your couch. And when you’re in your Optima Plug-In Hybrid, Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ allow you to access your compatible smartphone features right from your Kia’s touch-screen display.
Highest tech -
Keep your eyes on the road and hands on wheel. With UVO eco, your voice controls phone calls, your music library, navigation, and more. You get real-time access to vital information like battery life and charging stations—plus an app that gives you remote control to schedule charge times, set the cabin climate, and schedule maintenances.
Ready for the unexpected -
- Apple CarPlay™ - Plug in your compatible iPhone® for instant access to your favorite features. Whether you’re sending a text or talking to Siri®, Apple CarPlay™ is the smarter way to use your phone in the car. Click here to learn more about Apple Carplay™ and download the Apple Carplay™ Guide.
- Android Auto™ - UVO offers compatibility with Android Auto™ for convenient and direct connection to your smartphone. Make calls, send texts, play your music, and more. Click here to learn more about Android Auto™ and download the Android Auto™ Guide.
- UVO - UVO eco offers helpful tools like Parking Minder, Kia 24-hour Roadside Assistance, and My POIs.
Drive confidently on every road. Our advanced driver-assistive systems, like Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB), Advanced Smart Cruise Control (ASCC), and Forward Collision Warning System (FCWS) make operating your vehicle more convenient than ever.
- AEB - The Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) system uses radar to automatically activate the brakes when detecting a potential collision.
- ASCC - Advanced Smart Cruise Control (ASCC) automatically slows or accelerates your vehicle to maintain a safe preset distance.
- FCWS - Forward Collision Warning System (FCWS) utilizes both audible and visual cues to alert you to a potential collision, giving you time to take corrective action.
Attract all the attention -
The Optima Plug-In Hybrid combines meticulously crafted details like aerodynamic lines, uniquely sleek wheels, and an innovative active air-flap embedded in the grille. They all work together to maximize fuel economy, so you don’t have to choose between form and function.
Quite an angle -
At first glance, you’ll notice the smooth, sculpted exterior lines. On first drive, you’ll notice how the lower resistance provides a quieter, more comfortable drive. And the first time you plug in to recharge, you’ll notice just how rarely you have to do it at all, given the all-electric range of 29 miles.
Style that goes the distance -
- Low Drag - The exceptionally low drag co-efficient helps maximize the Optima Plug-In Hybrid’s overall efficiency.
- Air Flap - An active air-flap isn’t just stylish, but equally innovative, automatically opening and closing based on vehicle speed, engine temperature, and airflow.
From its captivating front end to its aerodynamic alloy wheels, the 2017 Optima Plug-In Hybrid is the perfect fusion of elegant lines, sporty style, and unique detailing. It’s standout style from every angle.
Bright ideas -
- Front - A daring and sophisticated front end, featuring Kia’s distinctive “tiger-nose” grille in high-gloss black, along with available LED headlights and Daytime Running Lights.
- Side - Modern alloy wheels offer both sleek styling and improved airflow.
- Rear - The sharply-edged bumper and vibrant LED taillights deliver an eye-catching departure.
Crisp, bright LED lighting cuts through darkness not only efficiently but intelligently. With available innovations like Dynamic Bending Light (DBL) and High Beam Assist (HBA), the all-new Optima Plug-In Hybrid delivers exceptional illumination for enhanced visibility.
Designed to flow -
- Cornering - The available Dynamic Bending Light (DBL) system adapts and turns with the vehicle on curves, helping to improve visibility through corners.
- Auto-Dimming - High Beam Assist (HBA) responds when detecting vehicles ahead, automatically dimming your headlights from high to low beam.
In the Optima Hybrid, efficiency isn’t simply about a hybrid powertrain. In order to help you make better use of fuel, the exterior itself is designed to lend a helping hand. The side airflow vent reduces drag, allowing air to pass freely through it.
Insider’s advantage -
One step in and you’ll appreciate the spacious, comfort-focused interior that features supple leather seating with heat, available ventilated front seats and a panoramic sunroof. Driver-oriented innovations like Smart Key and the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) give you added convenience every time you drive.
Your command center -
Every interior detail was designed with the driver in mind. Switch from hybrid to EV mode at the touch of a button. Access information from the 8-inch touch-screen display, or with your voice. We’ve also added an auto-dimming rear mirror and a heated steering wheel for refined comfort behind the wheel.
Make yourself comfortable -
Everyday driving shouldn’t have to be ordinary. Take a seat covered in soft leather, available with multi-way power adjustments for the front row. Enjoy ample headroom, legroom, and shoulder room in every seat. And relax in the cabin extra-quiet thanks to noise-reducing insulation.
Little touches, big difference -
- Leather - Your choice of gray or black seating, covered in high-quality leather.
- Steering Wheel - An ergonomically designed steering wheel, heated for comfort in colder weather.
- Seats - With 12-way power adjustments for the driver, including 4-way lumbar support. As well as available 10-way power adjustments for the passenger, including 2-way lumbar support.
It’s the plug-in hybrid that adapts to you. Featuring innovations like Smart Key that let you start your engine without delay, as well as a Harmon/Kardon® 10-speaker premium audio system with 7.1 surround sound. Plus, dual-zone automatic temperature control lets the driver and front passenger customize their temperature settings.
- Smart Key - Your vehicle detects a Smart Key, even from your purse or pocket, so you can start and stop the engine with a simple push of an illuminated button.
- Parking - The Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) easily engages and releases with the push of a button.
- Sunshade - Keep the sun out and the cabin cool with rear side-window sunshades.
Strength in wonders -
We’ve integrated advanced technology in every facet of the Optima Plug-In Hybrid design. And its safety is no different. Engineered with reliable active and passive systems built to protect, the Optima Plug-In Hybrid is peace of mind on every journey.
Your protection is our priority -
The Optima Plug-In Hybrid is built strong from the inside out. With advanced Iso-Structure™ construction that features 53% advanced, high-strength steel for improved rigidity. But protection doesn’t stop at the frame: front, seat-mounted side-curtain, and driver’s knee-height airbags are ready to deploy when needed.
Intelligently responsive -
- Structure - The Optima Plug-In Hybrid uses over 50% Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS), helping to substantially increase body rigidity.
- Airbags - The advanced airbag system features dual front, front-seat-mounted-side, and full-length side curtain airbags. High-tech sensors can detect the level of an impact and presence of a front passenger, helping to control airbag inflation.
Road conditions, weather, and other drivers are elements that can make driving unpredictable. But there is one thing you can count on: the Optima Plug-In Hybrid’s advanced active safety systems that help give you the kind of vehicle control you need to handle the unexpected.
- Control - Maintain control when it matters most. Electronic Stability Control (ESC) helps you keep on course, while Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) helps maintain steering control when driving under adverse road conditions. Hill-Start Assist Control (HAC) helps keep your vehicle in place as you move off an incline.
- Braking - Advanced braking for improved efficiency: Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) adjusts braking, front to rear, depending on load. The Antilock Braking System (ABS) helps reduce skidding. And the High Line Tire-Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) monitors tire pressure in all four tires.